Sunday, 13 February 2011

back on the GUCR training regime

Well after my adventures on the Ultra 90 weekend, I had a fairly easy week regarding running, I managed 7 miles total.

Having said that though running a total mileage of 120miles the previous week I figured I did deserve it.

I must admit I did think that my feet would take more of battering than they did considering my previous experience with blisters. I only had 3 small toe blisters, although I did end up with 3 lifted toe nails, one which has subsequently fell off.

The following week I managed a few more miles bumping it up to around 35 miles for the week.

So this week I knew that I needed to start ramping it up if I am going to be in any kind of condition to be able to compete in the GUCR and finish in the time that I have set myself.

I started off well with a fast tempo run back from work on Tues night hitting around 7.45 minute miling for 8 miles.
I had planned a nice 12miler back to work in the morning but I could not get my lazy backside out of bed, so it was 7miles on the treadmill when I got home which ended up being another tempo. Its question of getting the job done as quick as possible on a treadmill for me.

Thursday was my planned 8 miler home again which was steady.

Then on to the weekend run - Sunday planned run of around 35miles.

I was up at 4.40pm having had a disturbed night, dealing with children waking up.
I got myself sorted and consumed a marmite bar, then it was out the door and on my way.

The first 6 miles to Broadway went very well although possibly a bit to quick, I quickly consumed a gel and carried on my way. I started seeing quite a bit of traffic on the road from Broadway to Hinton which is unusual at that time in the morning. I was stopped by a couple of cars asking me for directions to Evesham, which I thought was a bit odd as they were gong in the opposite direction. I crested the hill which overlooked the A46 and saw a lot of blue flashing lights. My first thought was I hope I can continue my run as all I wanted to do was cross over the road to the lane which led to Elmely Castle. As I approached I saw that the road had been closed but further up towards Evesham so my way was clear. (I later found out that a man had been found in the road with serious injuries apparently looks like a hit and run)

I carried on to Elmely where I tried my new food snack a marmite sandwich which tasted nice but was a bit hard to swallow. I carried on and soon found myself through the combertons and heading for Nafford. Here I went off road and ran round Birlingham (my old stomping ground) via the river for a few miles. As I came out of Birlingham I started feeling tired and my legs started to feel heavy no real aches as such just hard to put one foot in front of the other. I tried my other food snack a lemon curd sandwich which again tasted nice but was hard to swallow. It did make a difference for a while but I was soon struggling again I battled on to Pershore, by this time the rain was coming down heavier along with the wind which I had been battling with for the whole run. I thought this was probably the main reason I was really struggling. I got to a point on the way to cropthorne where I thought I can struggle on and finish this run but it might take a lot out of me and affect the runs I have planned for next week or I can call it now and be satisfied with a run that was at least 25miles....
It was a tough choice as I am very stubborn and when I set out to do something I usually finish it, but after weighing it up in my mind I figured a DNF on a training run was better than ultimately getting one in a race.

So I made a call to Anna to say I would be taking a while longer than I anticipated as I would be walking home from where I was. She kindly offered to pick me up which to be fair I was very relieved as once I had made the decision to quit, all I wanted to do was get home.

On reflection I think I know what went wrong, when I was unpacking my running pack I noticed that the bladder was still fairly full. I then realised I had only drunk around half a litre in around 4 hours which I think could have been one of the main reasons why I went down so fast.

This is a big mistake on my part as I am usually very good at hydration, hopefully lesson learnt.

Still 27.5miles was still ok, I also learnt that sandwiches while ok are not a replacement to malt loaf , rice pudding or cranberry flapjack..

The main lesson learnt is drink drink drink.........

I still achieved 50.5miles for the week, hopefully I can follow that up with another solid week this week coming....

1 comment:

  1. I always find bread of any sort hard to swallow on runs! Ginger biscuits work well, as do Hobnobs! On the savoury side I stick to ready salted crisps.... absolute bliss when you're fed up of gels! I'm still experimenting with my race nutrition.... and one day I'll get it right!!

    Oh, and Anna is too good to you!!